The sun is shining, summer is here, and it’s time to say ‘see ya’ to sweatpants.
If you’re anything like me, I have a closet FULL of clothes I have not touched in over a year in my stay-at-home life. These are pieces I love, pieces I would wear all the time because they made me feel happy and totally me. Pieces that have been hanging in my closet, completely neglected. And, some of these pieces don’t feel like they fit in my life any more. I don’t know about you, but my style has significantly evolved over this past year. Not just my sense of style but also my sensibility about style. I’ve always been strategic and intentional about what I wear and teach my clients how to do that too, but this time around it feels different. My style feels more grounded, I’m giving myself more grace, and I’m embracing and expressing my boldness.
Rediscovering the pieces in your closet can be exciting, but it also can be overwhelming as you reconnect with your clothes and your style after this year of isolation — especially if the pieces that you have no longer serve the new you.
Luckily, I have some easy tips to help you get out of the stay-at-home-rut and help you rediscover your style, feeling fabulous.
Pop on a Pop of color!
Wearing color can be so overwhelming. But there are so many good reasons!
- Color adds higher vibrational energy to any outfit. (And attitude! )
- Color is visually uplifting (to you and others!)
- Color is an easy update to an outfit rut.
- Color adds personality to your look.
- Styling with color inspires creativity.
Still scared? Here are two easy guidelines to help you begin your color renaissance.
#1 Trust your gut. If you put a color on and you literally wince at yourself in the mirror thinking there is something off, you are correct. The color isn’t right. But if you put on a bold color, look and say “Dang! I look gooood!” Well then you are onto something. You know what colors you like. Try those! It’s amazing what actually works if we only just tried!
#2 Go bright! Bright colors will brighten up skin tone vibrancy. Who ever said mature women should stick to pastels? Pastels can make your skin feel grey, sallow and dim. While bright or saturated colors can actually liven up the skin, punch up the cheeks and pop the natural color of your lips.
With that said, I love throwing color rules out the window. Sometimes you just have to take the risk and wear that bold color you never thought you could wear, only to discover you could wear it all along.
White-on-white is such a chic way to update your look for summer, and you would never believe how easy it is to create this vibe in your wardrobe. Pull out all your white pieces and wear them all together. It’s that easy! If that isn’t enough, here are a few more benefits to wearing white on white.
- The color white reflects heat instead of absorbing it, meaning you will stay cooler longer in the summer heat
- When you style shades of white together, you create a sophisticated look with minimal effort.
- A full white-on-white look can be elongating to the frame! Just like black-on-black.
- We all have white in our wardrobe! That simple white tee? A stylish base for any outfit.
It’s really that simple. Grab all those white pieces, get creative with how you mix them together, and go have fun. Plus here’s a hot tip — you can instantly spice up your look by adding a pop of color in your accessories!
Speaking of accessories, that brings us to our next summer instant style update!
I am a firm believer that accessories make the outfit and adding fresh accessories to any outfit can update your look in a flash. Even your plain white tee and jean shorts will feel stylized and expressive! Here are some of my favorite ways to style with accessories:
- Add a headband! A headband can mask a bad hair day at any given moment, add a pop of color and even make a tee-shirt and sweatpants feel more stylish.
- Strut in bright shoes! Pop on a shoe with color, patterns, or even with metallic or embellishment. Every time you look down you will smile, and that smile will radiate your beautiful energy into the world!
- Wear conversational pieces! Statement necklaces and earrings can not only be eye catching, but conversation starting. Plus they make anything that you wear feel more put together and will show off your unique personality.
So how will you get dressed tomorrow?
Rediscovering your style can be overwhelming, but it is also a chance to embrace who you are! As you put away those sweatpants, try some of these tips and see what speaks to you. Whatever you choose, choose to be more fully YOU. Want some more Style inspiration? Join my 7 Days 7 Ways FREE style program! I’ll join you for 7 days every morning to help you get dressed with the wardrobe you have teaching you how to get dressed every day! Hope you can join me!